Jul 21, 2010

Hair & Hair Color Challenges #15

HCC Email/Questions

Hi There
My question is should we use heat or when can we use heat on hair color, in other words is using heat bad on the hair.
Thank you
Kerri

I have always been a firm believer that each individual’s situation determines the approach I take regarding using heat on hair. First let me stress how important it is to understand that any manufactures will discourage using heat for several reasons the main reasons is liability hence the big bold print DO NOT USE HEAT with our products, in our words anything that goes wrong is the responsibility of the hairdresser.
I do use heat particularly on dark natural levels that want to be super blonde, and in today’s society with everyone rushing no one wants to sit in a salon for 2 /3 hours to process.
So I use a low volume of developer and basically apply 10 to 15 minutes of heat almost at the end of the processing period (this is strictly for blonde highlights) very rarely do I use heat on my all over Tints. I would also use some heat when I am doing creative hair colors like bleaching pieces so I can then apply intense colors. But if anyone who is doing hair color with less then 2 /3 years experience I would suggest not using heat until the art of hair coloring becomes second nature. I love using a Roller Ball it is a softer type of heat that evenly distributes the heat around the head, however it is still heat and remembering that heat excels the processing faster and can if not watched carefully run away meaning too light.
And as always one must use their own discretions, is that individuals hair strong enough to take a bit of heat? do you need to use it? and do you have time to watch it ?

19 comments:

  1. fantastic post!! i love how you give you insight out so freely

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post thanks for the suggestion on using heat the last 10 to 15 minutes, I think that helps getting better blond results

    ReplyDelete
  3. makes sense to me, but i would still be scarred to using heat

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have never stirred me wrong, you a genius xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you use heat I agree you better not have like 5 clients on the go because before you know it POW, white

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use heat sometimes if I am using a demi to just push the color a little bit more , maybe all of 10 minutes works like a charm for me

    ReplyDelete
  7. All manufacturers say no heat, if I have a level 2 -3 you bet I use heat

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnonymousJuly 21, 2010

    Great Post and info,, love your blog !

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are a brilliant risk taker in the industry!I love and learn from you constantly.
    TY

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been doing this since you taught us, works like a dream, 'dark levels going blond' at end a little heat

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the effective word is Experience, knowing when to apply heat which takes time and practice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Most important thing to understanding I feel is the porosity of the hair, and common sense *wink* xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. on my blond guests I have to use some form of heat their all levels 3 that want to be level 10 with of course no brassiness

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would be a little apprehensive to using heat, most light colors are already a bit weak so yes i'd be scarred

    ReplyDelete
  15. i will take any advice, trick etc from you xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great Post and information!, I do agree that you have to have some experience too appling heat to hair colors

    ReplyDelete
  17. As always thx for these posts,
    I love them :+)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Before every styling you must therefore apply styling products, which protect your hair against heat damage. longhaircuts

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey.. Nice sharing..
    Your blog is really wonderful.. Thanks for sharing.
    Christmas Treasure Hunt

    ReplyDelete